EST 1922 01255 422213
EST 1874 01255 422446
HARDWARE & HOUSEHOLD STORE
FUEL & GAS
OVER 230 YEARS OF SERVING CLACTON & TENDRING
Burcart was started in 1922 by Kenneth & Walter Burcart, Charles Burcart joined them in 1934.
Initially their shop was in London Road where London Rd Garage is today, there timber yard was across the road, as there where not many cars in those days, they used to carry the timber across the road.
In 1935 they bought the two arms houses in old road and built the existing shop around them. Some of the floor boards and lath & plaster ceilings can still be seen in the shop Today.
Burcart supplied more heavy items in those days than we do now, the order from Mr Smee for 100 tons of cement at 39 shilling a ton is a good example, can you imagine delivering that amount by horse and cart!!.
Burcart bought the Anker four compartment till in 1933 and it was in use till 1984, the maximum it would ring up was one pound nineteen shilling and eleven pence & three farthings ( 39/11 ¾) a lot of money in those days.
When the 2nd world war started, timber and ironmongery was very difficult to buy for stock so they only opened on a Saturday when the customer required a permit to buy goods.
After the war stock became more available and Burcarts successfully carried on trading until the remaining two brothers sold it in 1984 to Ronnie Allwright.
He expanded the business further increasing the size of the shop and stock and bought Lewellen`s in 1990 which continued trading in the town centre for further 4 years until transferring it to Burcarts bringing both businesses’ under one roof for the first time, with its very large car park.
Today Burcart & Lewellen`s is a very successful family business run by Ronnie and his son Richard plus 5 other members of friendly and helpful staff.
Still serving Clacton, with good old fashioned service...